Monday, March 31, 2008

Good Stuff and Harding

There's good stuff and then there's Harding, sometimes there is both. When that happens we like to celebrate here at Harding Humor. As we've said many times before, Harding should rise to our level, so that we aren't picking on those lower than us. Here is the latest offspring of Mr. Good Stuff and Madam Harding: The Harding University Concert Choir.

This Good Stuff Review is brought to you by Editor-In-Chief, Sir Knight Patrick Baird Esquire.

Last night I had the privilege of seeing many of my good friends perform as part of the Harding University Concert Choir. The Concert Choir did an excellent job and brought much honor upon the University I seek to satirize. The concert was never boring, neither too short nor too long. Throughout the concert members of the Choir would step out and introduce the next composition. These pithy segways, were interesting and entertaining. Specifically, I found it interesting when Peter Snell introduced his song and I found it entertaining when Dr. Shearin immediately undermined the first introduction that didn't sound forced by commenting that, "The sun is coming out, and no tornadoes this time!" I guess if you get right down to it the only thing I didn't like about the concert was Dr. Shearin. Allow me to elaborate, during the song "People Need the Lord" Dr. Shearin takes a solo with the choir backing him. Now, I know that in collegiate choirs this is not uncommon and I do not object to Dr. Shearin taking a solo. I think that Dr. Shearin has a lovely voice, but I find it very distracting the way Dr. Shearin "directs" (this is my best explanation for what he was doing with his hands) when he is soloing. The way he gestured at the audience during that piece reminded me of vaudeville or crooning lounge singers, an image that is not complementary to "People Need the Lord". The video posted below is an example of what I mean. It is just so distracting. Now, I know that it is rather vain to think that Dr. Shearin reads this blog, but if he "stumbles across it" perhaps he will see my point and concede to just keep his hands by his sides next time. Overall the Concert Choir did a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

If you find other good stuff that is related to Harding, let us know email Editor Patrick Baird at pbaird@harding.edu

No comments: